Friday, January 16, 2009

DIY Laundry Powder

I've been making my own laundry powder (since May 2008) when I got frustrated with the "filler" found in all commercial laundry powder.  Filler is hard to dissolve in water and you still can see it sticking to your clothes after washing.


← Left: pure soap flakes and borax 
→ Right: sodium carbonate crystal 

All you need to make your own eco-friendly laundry powder are:

100 g - 125 g of pure soap flakes, 
100 g of borax
100 g of lectric soda or sodium carbonate powder/crystal

Mix them together and there you've got your own 100% active ingredients laundry powder.  It is easy and very cost effective.

Use about 2 to 3 tablespoons of powder per load of washing.

The functions of borax are to remove stain, and it's a natural deodoriser.

The function of sodium carbonate is as a water softener, to lock up calcium and magnesium from the water that would otherwise combine with the soap and form an insoluble scum that would stick to the clothes. 

©All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

Adeline said...

Very environmental friendly. Bravo!

J.C. said...

I always have those powdery stuff sticking to my cleaned laundry. It makes me wonder why the soap powder didn't wash off properly. I didn't know those are called fillers. I learnt something new from this posting! I usually have to re-do my laundry in order to wash them off. Sigh!

Ai Shiang said...

J.C.

If you ever try this recipe, let me know how it goes. I'm pleased with it so far and still using it. All the ingredients can be found at your local supermarket's shelves. It sure requires some discipline to grate the pure soap. But you'll get clean clothes every time :o)