Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wontan Soup


Some time, I feel lazy to have rice for lunch and dinner.  What sort of excuse is that?  A time to make something else!

I know it is rather cheap to have a bowl of wontan noodles soup in Malaysia, who would bother to make them?  It costs about A$8.50 a bowl here or converted to about RM23.00.  You would probably find only 5 to 6 wontans floating on top of some egg noodles.

Eating at home at my own pace is my favourite.  I can even have my meal in front of the TV!  Bad habit I know. 

I might have altered the original recipe a bit.  

Filling:
2 - 3 tablespoons of dried shrimp shell
300 g lean pork mince
100 g fatty pork mince
2 tablespoons of tapioca flour
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 tablespoon of sugar
half a teaspoon of salt
1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil

Ingredients for the clear soup:
1 packet of chicken stock - 375 ml
3 - 4 cup of water
some fried shallots or garlic
some dried shrimp shell
some fish sauce to taste
some sugar to taste

Wontan sheets:
1 packet of wontan sheets - 60 sheets

Method:
In a food processor put in the shrimp shell and grind it for a few seconds into powder form, then include everything else to make the filling.  Mix well in the food processor.  The meat should hold together in one lump.  

Scoop a teaspoon of filling onto a wontan sheet, fold it into a triangle shape and press the ends together.  They stick together with a bit of water.  Then bring the other two ends together again.

To make the soup, fry shallots/garlic and dried shrimp shell until brown.  Add in the rest of the ingredients for the soup and bring it to boil.

In another pot, boil some water.  Throw in however many wontans you want to eat into the boiling water.  Once the wontans float that mean they are cooked.  Drain the wontans and add in the soup.

You can freeze the rest of the wontans until needed.  If you have any leftover filling, you can roll them into meatballs alike and throw them into the soup - don't waste food.

Isn't it easy? 

©All Rights Reserved

26 comments:

fufu said...

wow... great! your wantans are kinda cute =p anyway try to mix a piece of ikan masin with the filling the next time you make wantan... i love it!! i used to cook in japan... and already 5yrs...

Mei Teng said...

RM23 for a bowl of wonton soup's really expensive!

I agree..why not make your own and eat at your own pace. Sometimes, I do have my meals on front of the telly. But not often these days...it's more like in front of my laptop!

marie said...

i definitely agree with you! getting a bowl of wanton is so hard. even if i do, it's so expensive! I could easily get a bowl of scrumptious wanton back at home with only a few ringgit. Oh, i miss all those yummies now.

Ai Shiang said...

Fufu,
Great tips! I think I might have replaced the ikan masin with dried shrimp shell. Instead of really salty, it taste a bit sweet with the shrimp shell.

Mei Teng,
Yeah, these day I think the conversion rate is A$1=RM2.77, so about RM23. You could have 6 to 7 bowl of wontans noodle soup in Msia with that amount of money.

Marie,
You could make those wontan at home if you can get wontan wrappers/sheets in Fredericton.

Uncle Lee said...

Hello Ai Shiang, Holy Smoke! Wonton that expensive where you are?
Here its about $5.oo with golf ball size wontons, inside 7 big shrimps.
Our Malaysian relatives got a shock to see the size of the wontons, and took pictures to show their wonton stall back home.
Told them Canada big country, everything also big, ha ha.
Have a nice day, Lee.

Ai Shiang said...

Uncle Lee,
I can relate big country with big meals. I reckon everything on the southern hemisphere is expensive. I think I've got used to it already. When I visited the US, I did feel things are cheap there and with many choices too.

foongpc said...

Wow! I love wonton noodles soup too. But don't bother to make them - too much work, and I don't cook! haha!

Btw, what's wrong with having meals in front of the TV? I do it all the time. If not TV, then I'll be reading the paper or something : )

Ayie said...

Yumyum!

I also make wonton soup or dumplings when I'm tired of usual dishes. The way you wrapped is more pleasant than I did. hehe

I don't usually cook by recipe, I just grab all ingredients and mix. Too lazy to read...hehe!

Ai Shiang said...

FoongPC,
Haha! You like meals with TV too? Good, we've something in common :o) If some old folks are at home, they normally complain about sitting in front of the TV when eating.

Ayie,
I do have the tendency of altering recipes most of the time too. It's rather troublesome to follow recipes to the dot.

Ayie said...

I agree! 100% *lol*

chubskulit said...

Hi Ai, that looks scrumptious!

SooHK said...

wah looks delicious...

Bogey said...

Yummy! Looks delicious. And I eat in front of the TV all the time. I will definitely try your recipe, that is, as soon as I put my kitchen back together!

Superman said...

Nice Wantan soup. it is really cheap if you prepare your own food in Australia. Still remember a plate of Penang Kueh Teow which cost me AUD12.50 last time. Used to go market to buy foods on weekends around 4.00 pm to get good bargain. Time for them to close up.
I like your spoon and fork. Haha! Written spoon and fork on it. :)

Ai Shiang said...

Bogey,
what's wrong with your kitchen? Did you dismantle it?

Superman,
Wow, where did you have the Penang Kueh Teow? In Adelaide? Normally the hawker food would cost sub-$10 in Sydney provided you have them in restaurant. You're right, they normally reduce the price way down after 3 or 4 PM.

You are very observant. I bought the "Spoon" and "Fork" many years ago when I was in New Zealand. I regretted I did not get "Knife". :o)

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Wow So Mouthe Watering !!! I Will Surely Try THis...Great And I Am Sure I Willl Be In TOuch With Your Blog..

Bengbeng said...

i agree abt it being cheap here...

for the volume i need and the price at the hawker stalls, it is jus not worth the effort in Msia

Ai Shiang said...

Unseen Rajasthan,
Welcome to my blog. Glad that the food makes you drool :o)

Bengbeng,
Yeah, they are cheap in msia and no need to go through the hassle to make them.

Prospero said...

How did you come up with the name "It's Raining Ice Cream?" That recipe might be easy for you, but not so easy for the recipe-challenged. Does sound good, though. The photos make the meal look very appetizing.

FLG said...

This looks so delicious! I want that soupy soupy thing. How I wish I can follow your recipe and maybe I can buy the stuffed noodles/pasta directly. ^^

HOMER said...

Wow!! yummy!

hi there to you! visiting u here. hope u visit my blog too here www.iamstayingalive.blogspot.com

AND PLEASE VOTE FOR MY BLOG HERE www.salaswildthoughts.blogspot.com the poll is at the bottom sidebar choose IAMSTAYINGALIVE thanks!

Bogey said...

Yes I did, kind of. I'm changing some stuff, painting, redoing the floor etc. So nothing is where it should be...and it will be a few weeks before I can finish it all.

HOMER said...

Thanks for dropping by! :)

HappySurfer said...

Thanks for the reminder to appreciate being in Malaysia at least where food is concerned. LOL!

Your bowl of wanton looks yummy.

Paul said...

Looks nice... and the ingredients also seem to be readily available here... so I will try to make it... thanks for the recipe.

HARI NG SABLAY said...

wow strawberry...