Friday, February 26, 2010

Encrypted

"What do you mean by encrypted?" This question shocked me big time! I do shop online quite often for hard to find merchandises but mostly within Australia. Once in a while I'll buy stuff from overseas.

I was busy shopping for air tickets and accommodations this week. I haven't been shopping with my credit card for quite sometime now. Out of a sudden I was asked to punch in a PIN number in order for the airline to process my payment. I was puzzled for a second but impressed with the recent improvement to ensure online shopping security. It's like having to key in ATM pin number for every transaction. When did they start imposing this security measure, I wonder? Obviously, online fraud is always costing financial institutions heaps of money.

As I was about to buy tickets from Singapore to Ipoh (this new airline my in-law told me about), the first thing I look for is the encrypted sign. But Firefly Airline (parent company: Malaysia Airlines) has none yet they require you to enter your "entire life" (everything) online! What a joke and yet I read someone actually asked what was "encrypted"! I couldn't believe some people would just enter their details when webs are not secured. It is a heaven for identity theft!

I ended up buying tickets from AirAsia instead. At least it's encrypted.

Do you always make sure that webs are encrypted/secured before you make any purchases?

©All Rights Reserved

19 comments:

Lily Riani said...

actually i dont... hemm.... never thought of taht before, next time must be careful.

Tekkaus said...

Well...it is better safe than sorry right? :p

Rafael Lam said...

I only will use my credit card in trustable wesbite... but sometimes still worry about the secure...

foongpc said...

I normally do transactions online only at websites with https and not http.

MKL said...

I don't trust online transactions and I'm very careful about the data I post. You made a good choice, Air Asia is good.

reanaclaire said...

each time i did an online booking for air asia, my heart beat faster too.. once clicked, no turning back.. yes, having https means more secured..

Pete said...

If the site has encrypted feature, sometime phishing intruders in our computer can decode what we key in....having good virus protection is vital a well.

Shingo T said...

I don't particularly look out for "encryted", but I only buy from reputable companies.

Gotta double check the URLs, these days there are so many fake sites with URLs that are spelt so closely.

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

To make sure you are on a secure site, make sure you see the PADLOCK sign on the lower right corner of the screen.

Mei Teng said...

So far, I have only purchased airtickets with AirAsia and they have something where you need to enter a password (if you're paying via credit card)in order to proceed with the transaction. I am not sure if that's what it's meant by encrypted. You have to obtain that password from creditcard company or something.

Otherwise, I was told to only proceed with transactions if you see a "https" denoting secured website versus "http".

But then again, fraud can still happen coz my sis' credit card was compromised when shopping on Amazon. Thankfully, the credit card company detected something unusual so informed her and deactivated the credit card.

HappySurfer said...

There's always a risk shopping online. Come to think of it, there's always a risk shopping with a credit card.

Hey, enjoy your trip. So, when was the last time you were back here?

Ai Shiang said...

Hello Everyone! I hope you all are having a good weekend there.

Thanks so much for commenting. I've learnt something new from you as well. I didn't know that "https" (instead of http) is actually a connection to a secure server. Now I know. :o)

Besides that, there are many other type of encryptions and the most common one is by SSL Certificate. It is known that weaker encryption like 32-bit and 64-bit can be broken by stronger encryption. These days the standard encryption is 128-bit. Undoubtly this will change in future.

I think it's best to find out if the sites have SSL Certificate or a PADLOCK.

Ai Shiang said...

Willie,
Padlock is the first thing I look for, always :o)

Mei Teng,
The punching credit card pin number online is known as "3-D Secure" and are implemented by "mastercard" and "Verified by Visa" if not mistaken. It is an added security layer for credit card /debit card online transactions.

Happysurfer,
I was last back in Msia in 2005 :o)

CheaHS@n said...

Certainly learned quite a lot of tips from bloggers regarding online purchase. Thanks to Ai Shiang for the road opener. Perhaps you can also arrange for a max limit of U$XXX for one particular credit card to use it for online only in order to contain any 'damages'.

uLi.佑莉 said...

Ya, online fraud happening every-day. On and off, I received those stupid emails from the "fake" bank asked me to provide the password for verification.... >.<

Bananazക said...

Just like a burglar will have a hard time to open your sophisticated lock which will take him a while to unlock than rather leave the house not properly locked. Have to be careful need to follow the necessary precaution suggested above. Echo Tekkaus's better safe than sorry.

Btw Happy Chap Goh Meh. tQ

gina said...

I've been using online to buy air tickets, movie tickets and transfers to accounts, pay bills, etc since 2005. It's good so far. :D Now with the enhanced security, one should not hesitate to use them.

Happy Chap Goh Meh!

fufu said...

wow i didnt know about that... lucky i dont need to take firefly =p

Ayie said...

it depends but to be safe i prefer