Friday, August 13, 2010

Knights Templar and Friday the 13th



Flying foxes on tree branches

Have you heard of Knights Templar?  You might already have if you've watched the movie: National Treasure.  The Templars don't exist today anymore.

Is Friday the 13 a common fear or superstition?

Here's a short story, this is not a fictitious tale.  It was on October 13, 1307, Friday.  The King of France (King Philip IV) summoned his army to arrest the Templars  and forced them to admit heresy in the "Order".   Partly because of jealousy and partly because the King of France owed a huge debt to the Templar - a loan to fund the war with England.

The Templars were being accused of blaspheming, denying Christ, homosexual acts, obscene kissing, devil worshiping etc. Of course, their confessions were induced by torture.  As punishments, they were burned alive, some were set fire onto their soles so the bones fell out of the skin, some were suspended in a topsy turvy manner.  In fact, the Templars did nothing as declare by the King of France. The Templars were merely bankers and protectors to Christian pilgrims. In order to save their own lives, they since seeked refuge under the Freemasonry.  Freemasonry is a secret society that still exists today.

Friday the 13th was since viewed as a tragic day.

In the Gregorian calender, there will be at least one Friday the 13th and a maximum of three Fridays the 13th. Should the 1st fall on a Sunday of the month, 13th will be a Friday.
 
©All Rights Reserved

18 comments:

ken said...

well, friday the 13th is always an ordinary day for me.. =)

Tekkaus said...

I have seen these lots of time. :D No need to worry.

HappySurfer said...

It is believed that the current cheque system could have originated from the Templars method of handling money. Great write-up, Ai Shiang.

Friday the 13 is just another day for me. Happy w/e!

Shingo T said...

An educational post you got here, Ai Shiang.

I'm still pretty amazed at how some buildings in Asia completely skip the naming of the 13th storey.

As in there the 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th storey, but no 13th.

Ai Shiang said...

Ken,
Yes, it should be just another day. Good to know that you're not superstitious.

Tekkaus,
Seen what Tekkaus?

Happysurfer,
Wow! I'm impressed with your knowledge :o). I believe the cheque system did originate from the Templars. I read that quite a while back. Good to know you're not "pantang" :). Have a good weekend yourself there too.

ShingoT,
I believe they skip room number with 13 too, don't they?

Lily Riani said...

to add to shingo t, 13 & 14 doesnt exist. hahahah..... in order to respect the western and asian belief

uLi.佑莉 said...

But I'm having my 1st farewell dinner today ^^ And it was a pleasure one :)

Rafael Lam said...

Thanks for your story of friday the 13th, I only know people said that's black friday before...
I'm scared more the numbers 4, 14, 24... that's chinese traditional...

fufu said...

i was almost hit by a taxi yesterday >< shit black friday >< hahaha now we all blamed this friday 13th... lol

Ben said...

Awesome HDR photo with the eerie bat hovering the bats tree! It matching well with your article of Templar and Friday 13th... fortunately nothing eerie happen to me on Friday 13th so far... touch wood :D By the way, where you shoot this awesome photo?

Ai Shiang said...

Lily,
Haha! They are just numbers aren't they?

Uli,
Good for you. Your farewell dinner? Are you changing job or going somewhere?

Rafael,
Yes, 4 isn't Chinese favourite number. I believe the number 3 is a good one for the Japanese.

Fufu,
Haha! You should look left and right before you cross the road :o)

Hello Ben, thanks for the compliment. I purposely picked this pic for the article, how observant of you :). Nothing eerie should happen. I wrote because I thought it might give people some idea how Friday the 13 came about rather than fearing the number. I shot this scene in the Botanical Garden in Sydney. There seem to be many birds around, from White Kakadu, to Green Lorikeets and of course those Fire foxes.

Bananazஇ said...

Simon Templar aka The Saint haha..Oh oh 'frigga..' does not bother me much and my basketball jersey is lucky #13..

Mei Teng said...

Friday 13 is an ordinary day for most people.

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Those are scary birds? 13th? well..it is just 2 daYs before my credit card payment due.

Ai Shiang said...

Bananazஇ
Oh! I didn't know that Simon Templar is The Saint. I'm not paying attention :♦)

Mei Teng,
Indeed it is.

Willie,
Scary huh? They're like bats just bigger.

Rafael Lam said...

Re: Thanks Ai Shiang, I only spent one long day for glance everything,
because the Expo is like a big amusement park for me!
I had fun there, but also made me very tired...

Ayie said...

many believed that friday the 13th is very bad day

Horsoon said...

Good effect of the photo and perfect for its title!